Blog Archive

Find Me on Facebook

Monday, November 21, 2011

What it means to belong to Him

One of my favourite songs at the moment is My Future Decided by Hillsong United.  The chorus refrain is:

Jesus, savior, in my life you are everything
My future decided, I will praise your name
And I know that I am, I am yours
Yeah, I know that I am, I am yours

I've been doing a lot of thinking, praying and reflecting on what it means to say that I belong to Him.
The essence of what this means to me, is recognising that "my" life is not that - it is a gift on loan from Christ, to be used to glorify Him.  I need to be mindful of using all that He provides me with in His service - taking the best care I can of the earthly body He has given me, making the best use of my time on earth and doing my best by those around me, in His name.

My church has a great saying; "We don't come here on Sunday to 'be church'.  We come on Sunday to be renewed so that we can go out and 'be church' in the world".  This is the essence of belonging to Him - that I should aim to be mindful of Him in all that I say, and all that I do, where ever I am.  At home, at work, in the pub or at the park.  With friends, with co-workers, with my children or alone.

As cliched as it is, it means holding myself to a standard of "What would Jesus do?".  It means not looking around me to set my standards of "acceptable" and instead looking to Christ.  It means checking my behavior against Him, not what my mates approve of, my partner would let me get away with or my children accept.

This is the "tough stuff" of being Christian - calling myself to be mindful at all times that I will be ultimately called to account.  When it's Friday night and I'm out at a bar or Saturday afternoon and I'm chilling with mates.  I need to remember that He who created me, sees all that I do.  He calls me to glorify His name in all that I do.  To keep His guidelines and shine His love into my home, my work place, the pub and the park.  To be the one who is prepared keep my promises and stand by my morals, even when it means standing alone.  To walk away from lies, hurtful words and "harmless flirting"...even when all my friends tell me to "get over yourself".  To be the first to apologise, to right my wrongs and own my mistakes.

To walk in faith that with Him as my guide and protector, I will never again stand truly alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment